Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Way out in Liberty

Mom,

Our friend Sherlyn absolutely loved the idea of visiting teaching. She wanted to go as soon as we taught her about it. Because she became interested in the Gospel when she came to Tony's baptism, we hope lots of people come to her baptism this Sunday. It's incredible to see the Holy Ghost work in people's lives. Tony's girlfriend Miriam went to Florida for a week, and what's the first thing she finds in her hotel room? The Book of Mormon. I was worried she wouldn't take her copy, but God had everything lined up either way:) We helped Jose search for his Venezuelan ancestors, it's not super easy. He's going with the branch to the temple this Wednesday. I feel like my prayers are being answered. I know that this work is true and that it's not us that's making it happen! God can do his own work.

 I got to speak Spanish this week! Way out in Liberty Texas where I'd never been before, I got the chance to exchange again with Elder Reed. He shared with me the concern that the members always talk about how great earlier missionaries were, telling stories about the disobedient things they did. We decided together that there is a difference between people liking you or even loving you, and people respecting and trusting you. You have to keep the first commandment (Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind) before the second (Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself).

We had an awesome boating activity Saturday. Lots of members brought their friends and siblings we had 6 or so non-members there. I guy from Michoacán, Mexico with a gage brought his dijeridoo (didjerydu?) and juggling stuff and I got to speak Spanish with him. We got a big list of people we'll invite to play soccer with our investigators. Tonight we're playing capture the flag.

I learned something important:The thoughts you have change everything, just don't think too much about it.


love y'all! Elder Decker

No comments:

Post a Comment