Monday, June 15, 2015

Charity in Action

June 8, 2015

Mom,

Helaman's Camp sounds cooler than encampment; I ate about 50 gumballs, got sunburned and we had to go home early. That was the second time in my life I was taken on a snipe hunt.

We happened to go to the mission office last Tuesday, so that's when sister Haygen asked me for our address, I had to ask my companion! I thought I'd cleared it all up on Monday by telling you we were actually in Houston. Where was I wrong? I was super glad to get your package, it was the icing on a super awesome cake of a day.

We started the week with a mission leadership conference including the District leaders and the sister training leaders. One big take away: charity is the answer.
 
Charity looks outward and never in. It only comes from God, as all good things do. Prophets teach us that we don't hold it like a possession, rather it posses us. Or we are "possessed of it" (Moroni 7:47). So often we spend our time hacking at the leafy outward manifestations of our weaknesses, when charity cuts through the root. Check out 1 Corinthians 13, and tell me which Christ-like attribute isn't contained in charity! Charity is the pure love of Christ. "Christ suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not his own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things." (Moroni 7) He is only concerned about others. We can be the same. 

 I saw it in action yesterday while we taught Ricky. Elder Mitchell and I had found him on exchanges. The Spirit told us what to promise him. It showed us his true value, which we tried to express to him. He had felt the Spirit and knew that we were sent by God. Yesterday when we began to teach him sitting on dirty chairs, surrounded by Mosquitos, my phone buzzing in my pocket reminding me of a problem I still hadn't fixed, and I realized we hadn't studied and prepared for Ricky that morning because of our church meetings and Elder Bond and I weren't teaching with much unity. I leaned back in my chair in frustration, and took a deep breath. "Who are you thinking about?" came to my mind. I remembered what I had taught the zone on Friday, that our love for God should be the single greatness reason behind every decision we make . I repented and focused back in on him. He says he knows God is telling him something, by the things we say, the way he feels and a thousand other little signs. It's a privilege to bring him such good news, that God knows and loves him.

He loves you as well. And so do I!

 Elder Decker

No comments:

Post a Comment