Wednesday, November 19, 2014

We've caught the Family History bug

November 17, 2014

Mom,

Monday the zone leaders astounded us by shoving six Mexican bounce houses into our tiny carpeted gym and making us cotton candy for zone p-day. 

Tuesday we were able to help two (literal) sisters from the ward. [One woman] (who was just baptized this year) and [her sister], get to "el centro de la historia familiar." After the normal battle we all go through for about 30 minutes to get logged in (Satan's last line of defense), Elder Petersen helped them begin searching, and they soon found their father. He had died when they were young, and his sisters immediately disowned the fatherless family. Their whole life they thought he was from one Mexican state, when in reality he was from another. Not only were they shocked to see him come up so soon, but they found his parents attached to him, whom they never met, AND the temple work had already been completed in Mexico back in 2000! They just cried as they felt a big pressure lifted from their shoulders. It was powerful to see these two little hermanas have an significant, spiritual experience on their very first time using FamilySearch. In fact, one sister told me it was her first time in front of a computer in her life. It's not over yet. Their goal is to find and baptize their mother, then to get sealed to their parents. The Estrada family caught the Family History bug this last week as well, Saturday they invited us over for Guatemalan tamales which are amazing. 

We had a great member-filled day with meetings, church (lots of investigators!) eating with Bishop, a funeral, then Ramiro's baptism. I got to interview him on Wednesday and was really impressed by his testimony. He didn't know who President Monson was, but said he would believe he was a prophet based on faith, I gave him my Liahona so he could find out for himself.  

When I felt that blessings were being held back from me that I deserved this scriptures put me in place:

Who am I, saith the Lord, that have promised and have not fulfilled?

I command and men obey not; I revoke and they receive not the blessing.

Then they say in their hearts: This is not the work of the Lord, for his promises are not fulfilled. But wo unto such, for their reward lurketh beneath, and not from above.

I realized I must do God's work His way, not mine. He will bless me for it, even if I don't understand all the reasons why:

That which is of God is light; and he that receiveth light, and continueth in God, receiveth more light; and that light groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day.

love y'all

Elder Decker

 

No comments:

Post a Comment