Wednesday, November 19, 2014

God really does answer prayers

November 9, 2014

Mom,

We went to the same Hispanic Health fair Saturday that we did last year. I helped with the 5K and spent about two hours just standing on the side of the Bayou watching downtown Houston's trash float gently by. Without my scriptures, the phone, or anyone to invite to come unto Christ I tried to recite just about everything I've ever memorized on my mission, and sang all the Spanish himnos I know and just relaxed. It was a good thing. I even got a free flu shot out of it. 

I had another baptismal interview again Wednesday. He was a repeat from two weeks ago. When I asked him if he believed Joseph Smith restored the Church and Gospel of Jesus Christ, he said firmly: "No. Jesus Christ restored His Gospel." This man has an incredibly strong faith, and is very dedicated to it. He never stops quoting the Bible, and wants badly to be baptized. He believes the Book of Mormon to be the word of God, and that Joseph Smith is a prophet, but also that there are many prophets, churches and books from God. He couldn't believe that God had one true Church. What he really lacked was revelation from the Holy Ghost, a testimony about the Book of Mormon that comes not because it teaches things compatible with the Bible, but because it stands alone as an evidence of God's love for us and proof that He communicates with us and because He can tell us if it is real or not. 

The sisters prayed and fasted and taught him again Friday with President. He called them the next day and said it had all come together for him. God really does answer prayers.

love you all!

Elder Decker

No comments:

Post a Comment