Monday, September 15, 2014

It's all part of the plan.


Mom,

Thank you mom for your prayers and letters and all you do for me. I am incredibly blessed to be here. I know that even though things don't go perfectly, the mission I've had and will have is infinitely better than any I would have picked for myself. I'm grateful for trials. I'm grateful for how much the people I try to teach end up teaching me. A lot of us have a thing about perfection. A while back I wondered why I couldn't just have Jesus Christ as a perfect senior companion, and we'd have perfect studies, be perfectly obedient, teach perfectly, and I'd learn in time to be perfect just like Him right? Often the answer to questions like that is this: if that were the right answer our loving Heavenly Father would have made things that way, but He didn't, so it's not. I'm grateful for my imperfect self, and for my imperfect companions. I know that we don't remember being with our Heavenly Father for a reason, that we are all imperfect here for a reason. If we are really to be like God we need to help others the way he helps us. If we could see how far we really were from perfection most of us would give up right then and there on ever reaching it. The twelve original apostles, talked, walked and ate with Jesus Christ, the only perfect man. One betrayed him, one denied him three times, and all abandoned him. The opposite of perfectionism is faith, knowing that someone bigger and better is and will take care of us.

We have the humbling opportunity to help someone a lot less fortunate than ourselves. For the first twenty minutes of our visit, all he could talk about is his house falling apart, his family apart, his work falling apart, his body falling apart, and even his mind falling apart. He told us he was done, that he had given up. It was a blessing to be able to begin with a prayer and thank our Heavenly Father for everything He has given us. We promised him the hope that he desired, for himself, for his wife, and for his two kids. We told him there is only one way to turn off the blackness in a dark room, and that's by turning on the light. We taught him about God's true identity as our Father, about the mission of His Son Jesus Christ. We helped him pray for the first time since he was thirteen years old. We read with him about Jesus' atonement form Mosiah 3, and saw prophecy of Christ fulfilled before our eyes.

"...And he shall cast out devils, or the evil spirits which dwell in the hearts of the children of men....

...whosoever should believe that Christ should come, the same might receive remission of their sins, and rejoice with exceedingly great joy, even as though he had already come among them."

God let us feel great joy with this man, because of the powerful, beautiful, and true message we brought him. He regained faith and determination; he isn't done yet. He promised to walk to church with his family on Sunday. 

Love Elder Decker

 

No comments:

Post a Comment