Monday, September 8, 2014

He never forgets about us.

September 3, 2014

Because of Labor Day and transfers, Zach wrote on Wednesday.

It is good to do fun summer things for as long as you can. School has set in here, and it brings a new little dynamic to missionary work.

The Book of Mormon is a gem. I have learned it was not written for investigators. It was not written solely to be an evidence of the restoration, though it certainly does that. The Book of Mormon was written for Mormons. To turn us into what God can make of us. I am completely convinced that the Book of 1st Nephi was written to help us learn to be prophets, perhaps not prophets, seers, revelators and presidents of the church, but men and women who receive revelation from God for their own stewardship because of the covenant keeping and the gift of the Holy Ghost, and prophets in their own right (Numbers 11:29/Revelation19:10). Nephi starts a humble, obedient boy and ends a colonizer of continents, a Seer, a King, a Patriarch, and the beginner of a very important book. From 1 Nephi 10 and 11 we learn how...

17 And it came to pass after I, Nephi, having heard all the words of my father, concerning the things which he saw in a vision, and also the things which he spake by the power of the Holy Ghost,which power he received by faith on the Son of God—and the Son of God was the Messiah who should come—I, Nephi, was desirous also that I might see, and hear, and know of these things, by the power of the Holy Ghost, which is the gift of God unto all those who diligently seek him, as well in times of old as in the time that he should manifest himself unto the children of men.

18 For he is the same yesterday, today, and forever; and the way is prepared for all men from the foundation of the world, if it so be that they repent and come unto him.

19 For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost, as well in these times as in times of old, and as well in times of old as in times to come; wherefore, the course of the Lord is one eternal round.

1 For it came to pass after I had desired to know the things that my father had seen, and believing that the Lord was able to make them known unto me, as I sat pondering in mine heart I was caught away in the Spirit of the Lord, yea, into an exceedingly high mountain, which I never had before seen, and upon which I never had before set my foot.


As members of Christ's restored Church, having received the ordinances of the priesthood and having so much revelation (four huge canonical books of it) literally at our fingers, we often live far below our spiritual potential. The sweetest experiences I have had yet on my mission have been when I put myself in a situation, a mindset, an environment when the Spirit can teach me. It never comes when I am thinking of myself. I love learning from the Spirit.

Before my mission I would often hear RMs say "I learned so many on my mission!" I sometimes asked in my mind: "name three" or something sarcastic like that. Sometimes they have a hard time summing it up. Always what we hear missionaries saying they learned about is the love of God our Father, the power of the Atonement, the truthfulness of the Restoration. My case is no different. I am often struck by truth after precious truth of things I thought I had already known. This week I learned that God loves us. He cares about us. He has a plan for us. He is actively involved in our lives. And although we may forget Him, He never forgets about us. I know that the Gospel is true, even for prideful-imperfect little me. I know the best way to help people is to emulate the Savior, to do what He would do, and there is nothing more powerful then that. I know he knows my investigators perfectly, and my companions too. I know I couldn't think of a better life or mission than the one God tailored for me. I know God is a perfect teacher, with perfect patience, and with very imperfect children. I know God is doing everything he can to reach out to us, all we have to do is make ourselves available. I know that the key to our happiness, our success, our salvation is remembering what it is that we have been taught, what God has spoken to us, and holding on to those precious things with all our might. 

I love you all and am so glad you are together and happy!

Elder Decker

No comments:

Post a Comment