Monday, April 28, 2014

Everything is about Him

April 21, 2014

Mom,

We had a good exchange this week. I enjoyed spending a day in U of H with Elder Birch. I feel like I learned quite a bit from the really comfortable, friendly way he approaches people. Sometimes, wrongly, I get a mindset like contacts and investigators are an enemy I am struggling against, but that's just not true. I can be their friend. We should both enjoy our lessons. And nobody agrees to hear from us after we argue with them on their doorstep.

Saturday we took Elder Downey's defective bicycle into the shop. After replacing a chain we had to go in and tell them they hadn't solved the problem. It's hard to confront people. But it is part of growing up. "Ask and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened up unto" really works doesn't it? In this situation though, we were dead wrong. Elder Downey had to pay 30 more bucks.

This place really turned into a party over the weekend. Blasting music and smoky barbecues filled the air. Saturday night we were kept up by a quincenera across the street playing Gangnam style and mariachi music for hours.

Yesterday we saw a pretty good miracle. A lady pulled us over on the side of the street, told us she was a member, and asked us where the church was. She is actually a returning less-active member who had been taught a lot in the South Mission. She is actually part of a part-member family. We just found somebody who really likes being taught. Last night we helped her move into her new house, we met her daughter and her daughter's boyfriend, and we plan on going back. Ironically their new house is the old house of a potential investigator we never taught who kept telling us to come back later.
Easter was different, but still enjoyable. I got a big steaming bowl of cow stomach last night with Hno Emerson. It actually goes down pretty well with a ton of onion, cilantro, hot sauce, and lemon. And stacks of Salvadoranean tortillas.

I've realized here more than ever the significance who Christ really is and what he does for us. I remember thinking as a kid, "I believe in God, he gives me everything, I pray to him, why we need Jesus?" The answer came as I faced trials, when I fought temptation, or when I searched for forgiveness. The answer came when I really went into the world and saw the need for a guide, a mediator, to take us all from where we are to where we want to go. We had all fallen short of the mark. There was no way we could have made it back it the Father, without his perfect son. I love Christ. I love following him. I love learning about him. I love that everything I do, everything that his Church is about is centered around him. I am grateful that he suffered all things, so that we wouldn't have to.

Elder Decker


No comments:

Post a Comment