Monday, December 16, 2013

And now here I go.

My week went pretty well. Let's see if I can remember...

Last Tuesday we had our last exchange of the transfer. It'll be weird not doing those anymore. I've taught with ten different missionaries while I've been in the field- a big blessing.

Wednesday was an enormous, all day, missionary extravaganza. The Mission-wide Christmas Conference included discourses from the president and his wife, and from two amazing recent converts. I got my package there, as well as socks and goodies from the President. I enjoyed it. It was a great opportunity to really "get a feel" for our mission. I have a better idea now of who we are, how many of us there are, and what it is we want to do. It was a great day.

Our Friday Hour of power was a particularly notable one. We prayed with Liz (the lady we baptized last month) and began knocking doors on her street. The first house was a white guy who tried to tell about his lifelong religious experience and talk on the phone at the same time. At the second house a man answered the door and let us right in. We were feeling pretty confidant and excited, "how to begin teaching points" and "inspired questions" racing through our heads when suddenly a woman came out from the back room chanting "we're not interested!" and quickly shooed us out the door.

None of that is all that unusual. What is abnormal is what we found at the third house. We were let in by Mauro, a middle aged man. We talked about his beliefs and our purpose as missionaries, and a brief explanation of our message. Well, as we began to leave his daughter came in. She is a dream investigator:"something is missing in my life", "I really want to come closer to God" and more. She invited us to come back the next day. When we did, we were able to teach a family of four: parents and their two children, all of whom are interested in our message. Fabiola, the daughter, even came to church today.

Elder Smith, Elder Decker, Luis, Elder Jones
 Saturday I had the opportunity to baptize Luis. He is the only investigator I've never had concerns about. He has a strong excitement and love for the Gospel. He lives with his friend’s family: a big house with one other member and a lot of potential. The whole family came to the baptism of Saturday. It was an amazing experience to see Luis progress so far, from when we first found him, to yesterday being in the circle to confirm him a member of the Lord's Church.


The Gospel really changes people. It can change your very nature.

Elder Smith & Elder Jones
Tomorrow I will be transferred. It seems like things really started to get interesting this last week- right before I leave. We had a baptism this weekend, we found a really exciting family, and all sorts of other things all at once. And now here I go. I've been anticipating this for a while, and honestly, I can't think of any reason The Lord would want me to stay here. I am really grateful for the privilege I had to serve in this area. I learned a lot watching my 3 companions in the 11 weeks I've been here. Now it seems I'm on my way to learn from doing. Wherever it is I end up I know I will have a bigger role to play, and a lot of room to grow.

I haven't got a clue where I'm going. I can't tell you a when, or a how, but I'll call y'all on the 25th.

Elder Decker

No comments:

Post a Comment