Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Have fun voting without me America

November 4, 2013

I definitely got your package. It was gladly received, especially by my companions. It just turned up on my front door, so it was pretty great. Daylight savings has really made things weird, as I'm sure it has for you, but we are a long way from anything like "cold." Don't worry about the heat or cold, those things don't exist here, but we do get some pretty sweet rain around here. It waits for every time I'm exchanged into a biking area. They've got Halloween enthusiasm around here, haven't ever seen so many decapitated heads since Brenna's LOTR marathon. But that night all we did was weekly planning, and ate a bunch of taffy.

It's incredibly important for people to do something in their own time. If it's really important to them, which the Gospel should be, being prepared for church will make a huge difference to their testimonies, priorities, and lives.

It's funny being the Zone leader tag-along. Everybody asks me if I'm a Visa-waiter. I'm not. I'm here for good. Last week a couple elders asked me if we even teach lessons, or how much time we actually spending being missionaries. The fact is, real leaders don't go tromping around doing super important mysterious things. Elders Ericson and Jones get bikes to the shop, transport missionaries around, order supplies answer questions, and ask the zone just to be better. It's not glamorous. So keep in mind, that becoming a leader is just having the duties you did before, but then spending extra time (sometimes a lot of it) helping others do the same.

Missionary work can be frustrating. I know what is most important for people, yet all we hear is how much people work, how busy they are, and how they are never home. Sadly we have two or three non-progressing investigators who will accept no commitments at all. Our visits are almost just social time for them. I fear that soon we will have to stop meeting with them, because our time might be better spent somewhere else.

I had a great experience yesterday bearing my testimony in sacrament meeting. There have been several times in my life that the spirit was really urging me to do something, but I would not. It is the worst feeling in the world. I could have easily talked myself out of bearing my testimony: the time is running up, my Spanish is bad, no other missionaries are up there, but I knew how I would feel if I did not, and I made a choice. As I sat down afterward, there spirit flooded into me. I knew I had done the right thing. I realized that when I asked my investigators to do things, reading, repenting, changing, that it is the same thing. I think they often know they should do it, though there are many reasons they could choose not to. I am glad I had the opportunity to do and feel what it is like to follow the spirit.

Have fun voting without me America

Elder Decker


No comments:

Post a Comment